Wednesday, July 1, 2015

For the Love of Biking, Hiking and More! By Neva

So many trails!
I have always enjoyed biking, running, and hiking. I love to find new bike routes and new trails. Having the opportunity to live at the North Lakeland Discovery Center, I have been gifted with so many trails to explore! I have set a personal goal for the summer to get out on a trail once a day. Here are some of the highlights so far!
When I was hired here at the Discovery Center, I received lots of information in the mail about the area. When I opened the brochure for WinMan Trails, I thought “Why haven’t I been here?” That afternoon, my friend and I made the drive down. We were mind-blown! WinMan Trails are super! I have been back many times since. Whether you are a novice or an expert mountain biker, there is something for everyone. There are all kinds of challenges for riders, like the bridge on the right.

 This bridge drops off onto a large rock. On the Bridge Trail, a highlight is definitely the bridge below, featuring rollers and embankments.
 I really enjoy biking on the paved trail from Manitowish Waters to Boulder Junction. It goes right by the Discovery Center, so I just hop on and go! It parallels highway K, but it’s perfectly placed in the pines.  This trail is a great place to run as well.
Another great spot to hike, run, or bike is the Van Vliet Hemlocks State Natural Area. The old-growth hardwood hemlock forest blew me away, and I was fascinated by the fact that a couple hundred years ago, this is what most of Wisconsin had looked like. The forest is very dense, so it is extremely mosquito-ridden, but well worth it.
Last but not least, it’s wonderful to be able to walk right out my cabin door onto a trail here at the Discovery Center.  We have 12 miles of trails here, including a bog boardwalk.  The trails go through uplands and lowlands, and the Big River trail parallels the Manitowish River.


Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment