Monday, June 1, 2015

Teaching to Inspire By Emily Anna

I never wanted to be a teacher.  Even with my mom, a teacher herself, constantly telling me I was a natural at it, it wasn’t what I saw myself doing.  I had no desire to sit in a classroom all day, grade papers, or write up report cards.  I was passionate about the environment and conservation, so teaching just didn’t fit into the picture I had drawn up for my life.
                When I received an email offering me an interview for the position of Environmental Education Intern at the Discovery Center, I have to admit I was hesitant.  To protect and be a steward for the environment I have to do research, I kept telling myself.  So, after pondering it for a few minutes I thought, why not, it will be good practice interviewing at the very least. 
                The interview with Licia and Heather was phenomenal!  They made me feel so comfortable; it was like talking to a couple of old friends.  Suddenly, I was feeling really excited about a job that I had initially not even been interested in.  I began researching the Discovery Center and the more I learned, the more excited I became.  The Center is located in a beautiful area not too far from where I was living in Marquette; the mission aligned with my values, and unlike other jobs I had been offered, it provided a place to live!  I was ecstatic when I got a call from Licia the next morning offering me the job, and I accepted in on the spot.

                After spending a few days settling in and getting to know the staff, it was time for school programs.  I got my first taste of what environmental education was all about, and I loved it.  I shadowed Licia while she taught macro invertebrates and underworld classes to North Lakeland School second graders and took notes on literally every word she said.  The excitement that the kids had and eagerness to learn just energized me!  I called my mom that night to tell her how natural teaching came to me and how good it made me feel.  She didn’t say it out loud, but I’m sure an “I told you so” was floating around in her mind.
The following week I agreed to teach reptile and amphibian classes to first graders.  I couldn’t have asked for it to go any better.  I was able to show them all of the awesome critters we have in the Nature Nook, so their excitement was through the roof.  Myrtle, the ornate box turtle, was of course the show stopper. Again I kept thinking to myself, maybe research isn’t the only way to protect the environment. 
The next day we planned to take the Mercer 1st-6th graders to Van Vliet Hemlocks for some programs.  The evening before the programs we went to go scope it out, and the mosquitos were unbearable!  Even with a thick coat of bug spray covering my entire body, they were biting my eyes, ears, and fingertips.  We knew that if we were going crazy because of them, there was no way the kids would have any fun.  So, I found out very last minute that I would be teaching the macroinvertebrate class on my own back at the Discovery Center.  I had seen Licia do it and helped out several times by then, but I was still nervous.  This wasn’t just second graders anymore, it was first through sixth graders, and that intimidated me.  However, the day ended up being so much fun!  As soon as I started teaching I stopped thinking and everything came so naturally.  The kids were so interested in everything and could have dug through the muck looking for critters all day if I would have let them.  
As much as I never thought I would be a teacher, my first few weeks here at the Discovery Center are making me question everything I thought I would do with my career.  I have loved having the opportunity to teach, and it feels truly rewarding.  You get these kids out in the dirt and muck and you see a side of them that has possibly never been brought out before.  I feel invigorated and energized watching them truly engage and learn, and have an incredible time while doing it.  I’ve always thought research was the best way to protect and conserve our environment, but I’m learning that it’s not the only way.  These kids are the future of our planet and if we don’t get them outside and excited about nature, then who will?




No comments:

Post a Comment