Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Listening-It’s for the birds!

by Leah Dittberner

The most valuable wilderness skill that I have picked up in the last six months, is that of listening, specifically from my time spent birding. The ability to hear and place the melodic calls of birds has opened an entire world to me, and has given me a greater appreciation for all living things. Listening to the birds has helped me to realize that everything in nature has a place, has a home, and a unique set of behaviors that make it special and significant. This skill is especially important at this time of year when the trees are beginning to leaf out, making wood warblers hard to spot!

In my brief time at area boat landings conducting Clean Boats, Clean Waters surveys, my ears have helped me observe where the Baltimore Orioles like to hang out at Van Vliet Lake, where the Brown Thrasher at the Big Lake landing likes to forage in the brush, and has even allowed me to catch a few snippets of the Brown Creeper’s tinkling song when I am lucky.

In our fast paced, motor-run world that often drowns out the sounds of nature, it is easy to forget about the rest of the creatures, plants, and organisms that also call this planet home. However, delighting in the mysterious language of birds can help remind us that we are but one species in a vast sea of biodiversity on this planet.


Chestnut-sided Warbler in the Maples by Leah Dittberner 5/30/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment