Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Interview Leads to a Naturalist’s Reflection


As part of a school project, I was recently interviewed by fifth grade SOAR charter school students.  SOAR (School of Options & Applied Research) is a first year fifth thru seventh grade charter school in nearby Land O’ Lakes.  Their recent curricula finds students researching a famous environmentalist, creating a timeline of their achievements, and dressing up as that person at a Living Natural History Museum program.  Another assignment was to interview a local environmentalist; and my niece Sofia, a fifth grader, chose to interview me as a naturalist. 

She had 31 questions that ranged from my background to why I chose to go into this profession. It was fun for me, as I have not reflected on some of these topics for a long time. One of her questions really made me think about why I do what I do…  She asked: “When was the first time you volunteered for the environment?”  It took me a minute, and soon I realized I hadn’t done anything until almost out of college! Growing up, I wasn’t exposed to such opportunities and didn’t realize my interest in the natural world until, ironically, I left the Northwoods and my passion really came to life.  Now I'm back in the Northwoods and upon further reflecting on Sofia's interview questions, I came to understand on a different level why I love doing what I do... going into schools, working with young students, exposing them to the natural world and getting them involved in projects that get them out there, learning and respecting our area…  I wish I had had those experiences and opportunities as a young person.  And, now I am ever-so-thankful to be able to provide these opportunities to young people today. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment