Tuesday, June 5, 2012

First Week at the Discovery Center


First Week at the Discovery Center
- by Allie Coleman, Interpretive Services Intern

My first week and experience at the Discovery Center has been a great one! I love all the new things I have been involved in and learning.

The school groups at the Discovery Center, this week, have been great.  I am amazed how enthusiastic the kids have been about learning. It felt great getting to learn new things about frogs and the underworld, then getting to teach what I learned to the students. The Land O' Lakes Elementary students were so excited to be outside and search for frogs, that once they found some, they insisted on taking pictures kissing the frogs, having frogs in their hair, and collecting as many as possible. I think it is a great opportunity children, in this area, get to have to connect to nature on a very personal level, make lasting memories, and get to spend a day, outside of the classroom, learning.
Green tree frog: a great way to for kids to connect!
You can also visit frogs in our Nature Nook.
          
  I am also very excited to be able to be a part of the nature nook. I feel that it is a great tool for the Discovery Center to have. It is a great learning and teaching device for everyone involved.
            
In the weeks to come, I am excited to learn more about the organization, the interpretive trail, bogs, and the pontoon boat tours.  As well as hone my tree, flower, bird, and fungi identification skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment